Financial support available to you
How we can help you right now
Many of our clients need immediate support due to the impact of COVID-19 on them or their business. We’re committed to working with each of our clients according to their own circumstances to help mitigate any financial distress being caused by the virus. For example:
- we’re able to offer repayment holidays for up to 3 months to clients with existing mortgages and may be able to extend existing payment holidays for a further three months as well as considering other types of support available. Please note interest will accrue during the payment holiday and will result in clients paying more over the full term of the mortgage. Repayments may also increase after the repayment holiday
- we’re able to offer repayment holidays for up to 3 months to clients with some existing personal loans. Clients can apply for a repayment holiday until 31 October 2020. No interest will accrue during this time, but repayments may increase following the end of the repayment holiday
- we’re able to offer existing Coutts Silk Credit Cardholders a 1, 2 or 3-month payment holiday with the minimum monthly payment reduced to £1 and no interest accruing during this time. Clients can apply for a payment holiday until 31 October 2020
- we’ve passed on the recent interest rate reductions for any lending that’s linked to base rate
- we’ll waive the early access penalty for any fixed and notice deposits that need to be broken due to coronavirus
- we’ll happily refund the 2% cash withdrawal fee (minimum £1.50) if you let us know you’ve used your Coutts Silk Card to withdraw emergency cash.
If you’re experiencing any financial difficulties - involving any existing borrowing or you need to set up a new borrowing arrangement - please do speak to your private banker as soon as possible.
Eligibility criteria may apply. Credit is subject to status and approval.
How we are supporting businesses
We appreciate the impact current conditions will be having on many businesses and are here to help our commercial clients as much as we possibly can.
Coutts is now an accredited provider of the government’s Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme. The scheme provides financial support to small and medium-sized businesses that are losing revenue and experiencing cashflow pressures because of the coronavirus. We will be providing loans from £50,001 to £5 million.
The loans are available for terms of up to six years and include a standard 12-month capital repayment holiday. In addition, the government has agreed that it will pay up to the first 12 months of the loan interest on the borrower’s behalf.
The UK government provides banks with a guarantee for 80% of the loan, but the borrower remains liable for 100% of the outstanding debt.
Coutts is now an accredited provider of the government’s Bounce Back Loan Scheme which is available to support small and medium-sized businesses that are losing revenues because of the coronavirus.
Taking care of your people and ensuring you operate safely has never been more important. But meeting your responsibilities in health and safety, employment regulations and compliance can be tricky to navigate, especially during these difficult times.
That’s where Mentor can help. Mentor have been supporting thousands of businesses over the past 25 years by providing guidance and resources to help businesses:
- stay on top of legal and regulatory changes
- maintain compliance and reduce risk
- create a safe, professional and sustainable work environment.
Mentor’s 90-day service
To help navigate the coronavirus outbreak, Mentor can offer a 90-day service that supports businesses with access to a range of services, including:
- an employment law & HR advice service, available from 8am till 8pm, Monday to Friday
- a self-service tool for the latest expert employment law & HR advice
- a 24/7 health and safety advice service
- MentorLive which helps with various issues such as unfurloughing staff, reopening business operations and managing staff sickness.
A simple, upfront payment structure is available for this service:
Price (excluding VAT)
£192 + VAT
£348 + VAT
£600 + VAT
£936 + VAT
Learn More About Mentor
If you’re interested in learning more about Mentor, and how they may be able to help your business, please contact your commercial banker who’ll be happy to introduce you. Alternatively, please contact David Paling at email@example.com
Security may be required. Over 18s only. Business use only. Subject to status. Exclusions may apply. Any property or asset used as security may be repossessed or forfeited if you do not keep up repayments on any debt secured on it.
The Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CBILS) is managed by the British Business Bank on behalf of, and with the financial backing of the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and industrial Strategy (BEIS). British Business Bank plc is wholly owned by HM Government and is not authorised or regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Full details on CBILS and the list of participating CBILS lenders can be found on the British Business Bank website at: www.british-business-bank.co.uk/CBILS
The Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme (CLBILS) is managed by the British Business Bank on behalf of, and with the financial backing of the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and industrial Strategy (BEIS). Full details on CLBILS and the list of participating CLBILS lenders can be found on the British Business Bank website: www.british-business-bank.co.uk
The Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BBLS) is provided through a Government scheme and does not benefit from the same level of consumer protection as our other loans. If you’re in any doubt about whether this loan is right for you, you should take legal advice. Full details on BBLS can be found on the British Business Bank website: www.british-business-bank.co.uk
Protect your business from coronavirus-related scams
With remote working increasingly common, remember that anywhere your staff work is an extension of your workplace. It’s therefore especially important for employees to be aware of the need to maintain security and that fraudsters are exploiting the spread of the coronavirus to facilitate various types of fraud and cybercrime.
Fraudsters pose as a creditor or supplier and advise you that because of the coronavirus outbreak their company’s bank details have changed and that you should update the sort code and account number you hold.
Bogus emails, claiming to be from a senior member of staff, such as a Director, CEO or Chairman, are sent to the accounts team requesting an urgent payment.
The fraudster will often claim that an urgent payment is needed due to exceptional circumstances, such as the spread of coronavirus.
banking from home
To help protect both our clients and our staff, we’ve adapted some of our services.
- You can now use your Coutts credit and debit cards to make contactless payments up to £45 (provided the merchant is set up to accept the increase in limit from the current £30).
- As there are a limited number of staff working in our offices, it may take a few extra days for any cheques that you post to us to be processed. Please therefore:
- avoid sending us payment instructions via post. The quickest way to make a payment is via Coutts Online or Coutts Mobile. If you’re unsure how to do this or the payment is complex, please send a secure message within Coutts Online and we’ll call you back to talk you through how to do this. If you’re not registered for Coutts Online, please email your name and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org (ensuring you don’t include any sensitive information or payment instructions)
- bear this in mind if you receive any regular income via cheque that could be paid to you electronically - such as dividends or NS&I Premium Bonds - please update your details with them so that any future income is paid electronically.
- Our Strand cashier service is available from 10am to 1pm Monday to Friday and our safe custody service is available by appointment only each Tuesday and Thursday. If you'd like to make an appointment to access anything you hold in our safe custody service, please speak to your banker. You can also continue to use the cashier service available at NatWest branches. Please check local branch availability online before visiting.
USE OUR DIGITAL SERVICES
Coutts Online provides a safe and secure way to carry out your day to day banking 24/7
To register for our digital services, please email your name and phone number to email@example.com and we'll arrange to set you up. Alternatively please call 020 7770 0000 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm at weekends and bank holidays.
Coutts Travel protection
COVID-19 has currently put a stop to most trips and created uncertainty about when and where we will be able to travel to again. Whilst the situation continues to evolve, and it’s impossible to provide assistance for every scenario, we’ve created some guidance based on the type of questions that have been most commonly asked by our clients.
protecting yourself from fraud
beware of fraudsters attempting coronvirus-related scams
Unfortunately, fraudsters are taking advantage of the current situation and are using the coronavirus outbreak to try and trick people and businesses into parting with their money or sensitive information.
You can learn more about the common scams we’re seeing below. Please remain vigilant and contact us straight away if you think you’ve been targeted.
Fraudsters are sending out coronavirus-themed phishing emails to trick people into opening malicious attachments or revealing sensitive personal and financial details.
Emails purporting to be from medical or government research organisations should be treated with caution.
Vishing is fraudulent contact made by phone.
Be alert to bogus calls linked to coronavirus as these could be from fraudsters who claim they’re from organisations such as the Bank, the Police, an official health organisation or a company that you trust.
Fraudsters are targeting those who are ill or self-isolating by offering to do their shopping. The fraudster will ask for their victim’s card and PIN to enable them to purchase the groceries but will use this to access the victim’s account. Of course, the groceries will never arrive.
helping others in need
Our philanthropic roots go back centuries and as well as helping clients use their wealth to support others, we’re also working hard to help those impacted by the crisis, including:
- inviting clients to donate the Coutts Crowns they've collected from our THANK YOU FROM COUTTS reward programme, which we'll match to help manage the impact of coronavirus. To donate your Crowns simply login to Coutts Online and select REWARDS from the WEALTH OVERVIEW
- matching all donations to NET - our parent company NatWest Group is matching all donations made here until 30 June or £5 million is donated
- donating the produce grown in our Skyline Garden to The Connection at St Martin's and The Felix Project who provide meals to vulnerable people
- providing additional resources to groups supported by the Coutts Foundation to help the work they do with women and girls across the UK
- signing up to the COVID-19 business pledge, set up by Rt Hon. Justine Greening and entrepreneur David Harrison to support those most in need.
We've also published our Philanthropy Handbook, which includes guidance on getting started and how to build on existing achievements.
Our Executive Chef, Peter Fiori, has been busy picking out store cupboard ingredients to create recipes for a range of cooking abilities. From Italian mountain soup to Japanese Chicken Curry there’s something to help lift spirits and inspire almost everyone.
Virtual wine and food tasting masterclassES
dates for your diary
Following the success of our wine and food tasting masterclasses with Tom Gilbey and Peter Fiori, we're hosting two more events:
Friday 2 October, from 7pm
Friday 13 November, from 7pm
Further details will follow in due course.
Watch replays of our masterclasses
Watch our virtual wine and food tasting masterclass hosted by our Executive Chef, Peter Fiori and Tom Gilbey, Founder, The Vinter on Friday 26 June.
Watch our virtual wine and food tasting masterclass hosted by our Executive Chef, Peter Fiori and Tom Gilbey, Founder, The Vinter on Friday 15 May.
help with food deliveries and keeping everyone entertained
Coutts Concierge ordinarily helps Coutts Silk cardholders with everything from restaurant bookings to travel arrangements. But during this unprecedented period, we’re making available to all our clients – whether Silk cardholders or not – a range of handy guides from our concierge partners at Ten Lifestyle Group. We hope they help keep you and your loved ones active, entertained and happy.
There are a number of different ways that you can contact us, for example:
Coutts 24 and Coutts Businessline are available to receive your calls from 7am to 10pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm at weekends and bank holidays. However, there are likely to be some lengthy call waiting times so where possible, please:
- continue to use Coutts Online for your day to day banking. To help we have launched some 'how to' guides which explain in simple steps how to use certain features such as cancelling a Direct Debit or requesting a limit increase on a Coutts Silk Card
- use our secure messaging service within Coutts Online to contact our team and we'll respond to all queries received before 4pm the same day
- email your name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll respond to all queries as soon as possible within one hour. Please ensure you don't include any sensitive information or payment instructions in your email
- use our new chat function on coutts.com for any general queries you may have.
SECURE MEETINGS VIA VIDEO
Our bankers are also able to hold secure meetings via video. If you’re interested in arranging a video meeting, you’ll need to download the Zoom app and create an account (if you haven’t already got one set up). It’s very easy to use and once you’re set up, you’ll be ready to arrange your meeting with your banker. And as long as you use Zoom in a meeting arranged by us, you’ll benefit from the enhanced security controls we have in place.
To help keep clients and staff safe, our offices are now closed to clients.