Your protection against fraud is our priority. We are committed to protecting your identity and your funds against fraud, and we work tirelessly to keep you informed of the issues you should be aware of in order to be vigilant.
If you have any concerns, please call our dedicated Fraud team anytime on 020 7770 0011 or speak to your key Coutts adviser.
How to protect yourself against cheque fraud:
- Don’t accept cheques from anyone unless you know and trust them, especially when a high-value cheque is involved. Alternatively consider other ways of accepting payment for high-value items – electronic payments are ideal. Be especially wary if the buyer is unwilling to pay or split the relatively small cost involved with you.
- Before releasing any goods ensure you are fully aware of the cheque clearing timescales and if you are in any doubt about whether a cheque has cleared then call Coutts 24 on 020 7957 2424.
- Keep your cheque book in a safe place.
- Report any missing cheques immediately.
- If posting cheques consider checking these are received by the beneficiary. Also consider sending by secure post.
Counterfeit cheques are manufactured or printed on non-bank paper to look exactly like genuine cheques. Usually the bank details quoted are correct.
The fraudster either sends you the cheque or pays it directly into your account so you do not visually see the cheque.
Social Media Fraud
The UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, Action Fraud provides a central point of contact for information about fraud and financially motivated internet crime. Should you become a victim of fraud, incidents reported to Action Fraud will be designated a police crime reference number.
Get Safe Online
Get Safe Online is the UK’s leading source of unbiased, factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety.
Bank Safe Online
The UK banking industry group serves as a good source of information about phishing, money mules and trojans.
Credit check agencies
Provides fraud prevention services to individuals and organisations using the latest technology
Offers free, impartial and independent advice relating to fraud and other topics.
Financial Services Register
A public record of all firms, individuals and other bodies that are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Financial Conduct Authority
The FCA regulates the financial industry in the UK.
Online fraud is becoming increasingly sophisticated, with malware and phishing allowing cyber criminals to access computers, account numbers and other personal information. Antivirus software is vital for your security, but criminals are constantly seeking new and smarter ways to steal your identity and take money from your bank account.
We recommend Rapport security software – a cost-free security solution from Trusteer. Rapport works to shield online banking details, safeguard your identity and protect your details, even if your computer is infected. Rapport stops fraudsters in their tracks without relying on constant updates, and is designed to act efficiently without slowing down your computer.
Rapport works alongside antivirus software and a firewall, each playing a vital role in making it harder for fraudsters to intercept your login details:
- Antivirus – helps to stop threats by scanning your computer and looking for suspicious files
- Firewall – hides your computer from attackers and helps stop criminals getting data in and out of your computer
- Rapport – locks down the connection between your machine and Coutts. Rapport checks our site is genuine, and stops your data going to counterfeit sites
If you are PC user, you can download Rapport if you are using Windows XP or above, and any of the following browsers:
Microsoft Internet Explorer · Mozilla Firefox · Google Chrome
If you are a Mac user, you can download Rapport if you are using OS X 10.8 and above (Intel only) and one of these browsers:
Safari · Mozilla Firefox
For full details of supported operating systems and browsers, please visit the Trusteer website.